04 September 2013

DIY shave gel



I got really tired of buying cans of shave gel with who knows what in them, so I tried making my own. It was easy! And the finished product worked just as well as the store-bought version.

DIY shave gel 
Adapted from One Good Thing by Jillee

1/2 cup liquid castile soap (I used Dr. Bronner's almond variety because I like the scent)
1/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup pure aloe vera gel
2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 drops tea tree oil

Put everything in a glass jar, shake it up, and store it in the shower. It's not as creamy or foamy as the stuff you buy at the store, since it's free of stabilizers, thickeners, and sulfates, but it definitely gets the job done and leaves your skin feeling smooth. Slather on some sweet almond oil after you towel off, and you're set.

One thing to note: I had a lot of the ingredients on hand already, but did have to buy the aloe vera gel and vegetable glycerin. But those items were inexpensive, and both will last a long time and can be used for other purposes, like soothing sunburn (it happens sometimes) or as a moisturizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment